It is estimated that 8,300 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with fireworks each year. Approximately 50 percent of the injuries are burns. Most of the injuries involve the hands, eyes, or head. Nearly half of the victims are under 15 years of age.
Prevent a needless tragedy! Leave fireworks to the professionals.
Reduce the Risk of Injuries
Only use legal fireworks with extreme caution. Older children should be closely supervised, and younger children should not be allowed to play with fireworks. Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Sparklers, considered by many as "safe", burn at very high temperatures, can easily ignite clothing, and stay hot long after burning out. They are as dangerous as matches or lighters to children. Be sure to collect all burned out sparkler wires for disposal.
- Use lighters with a child resistant feature. Keep matches and lighters out of children reach.
- Keep water nearby for emergencies and for pouring on misfired or spent fireworks.
- Be sure other people and pets are out of range.
- Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas. Store them in a dry, cool place out of the reach of children.
- Dispose of all fireworks properly.
- Although legal fireworks can be relatively safe with proper and careful usage, illegal fireworks present substantial risks that can result in deaths, blindness, amputations, and severe burns. Older children should only be permitted to use fireworks under close supervision. Never allow any running or horse play.
- Light fireworks outdoors, one at a time, on a clear, smooth, flat surface away from houses, dry leaves or grass, or flammable materials.
- Never try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away.
- Never experiment with fireworks or ignite them in a glass or metal container. Do not attempt to make your own.
Protect Your Child
Teach children to respect fire and fireworks at an early age.